Thursday, September 29, 2011

Harmless Addiction

Crack. Fizz. Chug.

No, that isn't beer. Contrary to popular belief, not all college students chug beer. We do, however, have something to chug. For me, nothing beats a can of Diet Coke fresh from the fridge. My body needs fuel, more specifically caffeine. It adores it. It craves it. It needs it. I can say without an ounce of shame that I have a less-than-healthy dependence on caffeine. I barely survive the morning before I hear the tempting call of my favorite pop.When I lay eyes on the rows of shiny silver cans lining the door of the fridge, my sluggish brain begs me to grab a can. It already aches with the strain of withdrawal, and it whines with a pounding insistence until I comply. I reach in hastily and snatch the first can in sight. I scramble to break the seal and to crack open a brand new can. The sweet smell of the sticky, fizzy drink invites me to take a sip. But I don't take just a sip. I guzzle a quarter of the can while the door of the fridge hangs wide open. What a relief! My brain is suddenly abuzz with focus. My chipper mood comes flooding back to me. The rush of endorphins quickly erases any trace of that old, heavy headache, which only bolsters my already powerful addiction.

That unhealthy concoction isn't just a mess of tasty, addictive chemicals to me. With each drink, I find a moment of peace, and no one can strip me of that peace. My brain alone has the power to cling so tightly to that silly little drink. It gives me a simple pleasure to look forward to during a long day of dull classes and a rainy funk. I treasure that aspect most of all. It calms my nerves and puts my mind to rest. Now, every time I see a can within reach, I rush to it with a grin of anticipation stretched widely across my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment